Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Blackall to Mitchell

Not a lot to tell today except drive.
Anyway, I left Blackall about 0730 after refuelling. I used a bit of fuel yesterday due to a strong southerly wind but today seemed a bit easier.
My first stop was at Tambo for a break and an awful instant coffee. The chat to the owner was good and she remembered us from last year.
Next I had a short stop at Augathella where I was able to get a half reasonable muggacino and a muffin. I needed the break here.
On the way today, I have never in my life seen so many dead animals. They have been hit during the night and early morning. I very nearly collected kangaroos and eagles that were feeding on last night's road kill. I think the kangaroos are drawn to the little green feed on the edge of the blacktop,
Soon I moved on to Morven where I had another break. Then the final leg of the journey to the Major Mitchell Caravan Park in Mitchell on the banks of the Maranoa River. So a 400 kilometre drive was done.
After I set up, I walked over the foot bridge which passed by the mural on the foundations of the road bridge. They depict all the life and history of the Mitchell area.
I walked to the Visitor Centre and had another nice muggacino. This is only the second place on the trip that an aboriginal actually served me. She was very well presented and a real personality. A pity more of the aborigines did not do the same as her. I returned to the Caravan Park and then it became quite social.
I cooked my dinner at the camp kitchen along with a large group. It included a fellow that went to the same school as me but many years younger. We certainly discussed various teachers that we had.
So it was then time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment