Thursday, September 3, 2009

Mitchell to Goondiwindi

Left Mitchell by 0730 after refuelling. While doing the refuelling, there was a coach from Lismore so the co driver and I had a bit of a chat. They were going to Birdsville for the Races this weekend. Sadly, I am not.
So I started on the 200 kilometre drive to St. George, a town I have been to a few times. On the way, I was forced to brake heavily several times to avoid hitting wallabies and also the occasional eagle that was feasting on wildlife that had been hit during the previous night.
I arrived at St. George and went looking for a reasonable coffee, which I found at the Bakery. The place I have been to in the past was closed for the day.
After a break in the town and a walk, I started off on the raod to Goondiwindi which was also around 200 kilometres. On the way, I stopped and had an early lunch at the Nindigully Pub. It is quite a unique location with its various decorations of either used hats formerly owned by patrons or historical items.
After that break I made my way to Andrew and Lucy's home in Goondiwindi. I unhitched the Karavan in their driveway and connected power as well as set it up. Then into town to meet up with Lucy for a coffee.
Early evening, Andrew and his friend Leon arrived back in town in Andrew's plane after an overnight trip to Toowoomba.
We then had a really nice dinner of pork roast that Lucy cooked. It was preceded with drinks and nibbles.
So ended a fairly long drive day but much easier than this time last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment