Monday, August 31, 2009

Winton to Blackall

No pictures today.

This morning I was up and about reasonably early to pack up. I left the Caravan Park in Winton at about 0730.

My first stop was for fuel at the busy BP Roadhouse. The diesel was $1.35 per litre, 50 cents/litre cheaper than the last fill up I did which was at Jervois Station last Wednesday on my way across the Plenty Highway.

My next stop was a short stretch the legs about 1 ½ hours along the road to Longreach. On arriving in Longreach I remembered the Bakery was a good place to have a cappuccino. I relaxed for a while there.

My next stop was briefly at Ilfracombe, where last year we paid an exorbitant price for fuel. I noticed they do not sell fuel any more.

Next I passed through Barcaldine without stopping. I continued on and made it into Blackall around lunch time. I set up the Karavan in the Caravan Park and had quite a few chats to others nearby.

As I drove today, I was thinking how the scenery has changed as I travelled over the past days. One thing that is very evident is that there is actually dry grass here but further back to the west there is almost nothing visible. Last year, when I travelled across part of the Landsborough Highway, there was some green grass but not this time although there is a lot of dry feed.

The weather has changed again and the temperature of recent days has dropped from in the 30 degree area down to the lower 20s today. It is a shock to the system but pleasant nonetheless.

Dinner was quite basic and helped with some red, as usual. Must keep up the anti-oxidant!

No comments:

Post a Comment