Thursday, August 27, 2009

Alice Springs to Jervois Station




This morning was departure from Alice Springs. During the night there had been several times I awoke to the sound of some rain drops.

Anyway, I arose and had my breakfast and generally prepared the interior of the Karavan for departure. Once complete, I then drove into town, without the Karavan, and refuelled and also filled two 20 litre fuel containers with diesel fuel. As I left the fuel station, it started to rain quite well and the hills to the west were almost rained out.

On arrival back at the Karavan, I had to get an umbrella out so that I could then get an oilskin jacket that Andrew gave some years ago. I wore it the whole time I was filling with water and rolling electrical cords and water hose. It was good that the awning had been stowed last night. Then I lowered the Karavan body down and secured it before hooking up the Bravo to it.

I took the Bravo out past the Caravan Park reception and parked. I dropped the access card into reception. Then I went to find Col and Colleen that I would be travelling with for the next few days. They were almost ready and I suggested that I would make tracks and wait for them at Gemtree Caravan Park about 60 kilometres along the Plenty Highway.

As I left Alice Springs it rained quite heavily and I heard later that there had been around 12 mm of rain in there. As I travelled along the Stuart Highway, north to the Plenty Highway, the rain slowly faded away.

About 2 ½ hours after leaving Alice Springs I arrived at Gemtree where I had a pasty and instant coffee. The pasty was the best part of the deal. Col and Colleen arrived not far behind me. We chatted to the staff there and gleaned information on what is in front of us.

We set off again for about 28 kilometres on black top. Then we started with the gravel. We lowered the pressure in our tyres to help minimise the impact of the corrugations on the vehicles. So far so good!

We stopped by the road for lunch just past the Harts Range Police Station. Then we set off again for Jervois Station. The road ranged from really bad to really good and everything in between. There is a big crew working on the road but I think that no sooner have they repaired one section then the previous one is falling apart again.

There is quite a bit of traffic on it and some drivers are nothing more than ratbags. Some drive on the edge of being out of control and obviously not in their own vehicle.

About 1530 we arrived at Jervois Station and we decided to spend the night in the station camp ground. Fairly basic but tidy and safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment