Saturday, August 29, 2009

Boulia Day2

This morning was shaping to be a hot morning and that is exactly how it turned out. It is meant to be winter but only in parts of Australia. Apparently, Longreach has had about 2 weeks of 30 degree temperature.
After breakfast, I did a few service items in preparation for my departure to the Landsborough Highway at Winton some 360 kilometres away and that will happen tomorrow. Just a Sunday drive! I emptied the two 20 litre fuel drums into the Bravo fuel tank and then I reinflated the tyres to the correct road pressure after they were lowered for crossing the rough road of previous days.
Then I rode my bike up to the Encounter Cafe for a cappuccino and raisin toast. After that I cycled around to the museum- Stone House Museum.

Originally the Stone House was the home of the Ones family from around 1880 until the early 1970s. It was then acquired by the Boulia Shire Council. There is an amazing amount of history located within this area.
The highlight of the museum is the Fossil exhibit. I can honestly say I have never seen more descriptive fossils. It is very easy to recognise various parts of the fossils. If you ever come here this exhibit is a must see. The curator is Dick Suter and he is one of the people that have ensured the whole museum functions. He is also one of the main people that locates and recovers the fossils.
The fossils are, in some cases, almost complete. There is one with an unborn mammal that has also fossilised. It is an amazing display.
Later, I had lunch in the cafe as it was nice and cool. The cafe was inhabited by many from the caravan park as the temperature climbed to more than 38 degrees. All the air conditioners were working very hard to lower the air temperature.
A lazy afternoon, before more driving occurs. Reading a book and chatting to fellow travellers is enjoyable.
Early evening saw Col and Colleen join me for drinks and nibbles for probably the last time on this trip. There were other popping in for a chat and drink too.
Then it was time for me to BBQ my marinated chicken and vegetables finished off with the remaining red wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment